Our first day was a piece of cake. Sandy picked me up from work and we headed to Iowa City, with only minor traffic on the 290. After a nice hour playing Scrabble on a park bench in the pedway, we met up with Jeff and his wife Sonya for dinner and hanging out.
Some things we learned in Iowa City:
- Once a university building has been flooded with fifteen feet of water it’s pretty much out of commission for two years so they can clean up all the mold.
- The Motley Cow is really, really good.
- Sonya knows everyone in Iowa City, despite her protestations to the contrary.
- Swings in the backyard are awesome.
- You should always check if the sliding screen door is actually open before walking through it. Guess how I figured that one out.
- You should never cook vegetarian bacon on the rack in your toaster. Always use the tray or you will start a terrifying fire. Guess how Jeff and Sonya figured that one out. Twice.
Tomorrow, we’re cooking them breakfast and then heading back east to the Mississippi River to find us some 4th of July celebrations.